Friday, February 1, 2013

The Phone Call...

As I think about the different goals I have set for myself over the past few years, my running distance seems to be a common theme among these goals.  My original goal was to run a marathon when I was 26 years old... you know run 26.2 miles while I was 26. A little corny I know, but I thought it would be fun.  Insert my 27th birthday, and still no marathon finish for me, so when October came around I filled out a few of the applications for some different charities in hopes some team would pick me up for the Boston Marathon.  In the back of my mind I was really hoping The Boston Bruins Foundation would pick one of the Bruins biggest fans to join their team.  The deadlines for letting teammates know came and went and no call from anyone... Oh well I thought... until today.

I was in the middle of an extremely busy day trying to make a couple different deadlines when I noticed my message light blinking on my phone.  So I check my messages thinking it'll have something to do with the cases I'm working on... then I hear "This is the Boston Bruins Foundation..." I immediately am thinking, "oh man what did I win?" as I always fill out raffles all the time... but what I heard next was WAY better than winning any Bruins memorabilia.

The Boston Bruins Foundation Boston Marathon Team had 6 spots open up, and they wanted me to join the team from my previous application. The. Boston. Bruins. Foundation. Boston. Marathon. Team.

I couldn't believe it. I was immediately filled with excitement, not even thinking twice about the shortened training and the short period of time to raise $4,000 for the charity.  I wanted in. Immediately.

[A brief background... One of my best friends in Boston and I had decided that our 2013 hadn't started off the best, so we were cancelling out January and February 1st was going to be OUR New Years Day... so when I got the phone call ON February 1st, I half believed it was some weird fate. So I had to say YES!]

After speaking with my parents, and hearing some of their concerns of the training and money raising my mom made the comment, that we both knew was 110% true.

"Stephanie, you're going to do what you want to do, and your just looking for someone to justify it for you"

She couldn't be more on target. I knew as soon as they called, I was sold, I was ready to sign the dotted line. No matter what it was going to take to raise the money and get the training in, I was IN.

Boston Marathon 2013. It's very nice to meet you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment