Saturday, February 23, 2013

Milestone Day- Longest Run

I've decided that I need to slow down my social schedule a little bit. Last week I was busy every. single. night with some event or commitment or another and it all became too much. It's fine going out and doing something, but I need to do so in moderation and on a low key kind of scale.


Thursday I did a simple workout DVD, mostly because I was a little nervous about my run that I had Saturday (today). And then Friday was a rest day.

Friday was also my monthly Wine Club gathering with a good group of friends and this month I was hosting. Since I knew I had a big run the next day, I made my menu around something that would not only taste good, but also be very energizing for me. Insert homemade basil pasta and baked pesto chicken.


After a great evening catching up with my friends, it was clean up, setting of the alarm, and off to bed for me. After struggling with my alarm, I was finally off to sleep.

Gus Gus was finding 4:30am a great time to start meow'ing for food and it started my morning off on a slower start. Around 8:30am I finally got myself out of bed. I was happy to find my ironman water bottle belt so I was able to fill up two small water bottles to wear around my waist; had a quick breakfast; took a couple Tylenol and a deeeeeeep breath. This would be my LONGEST run ever. 

For the most part my run felt really good, and the first half I was at a great pace, and was hitting all the crosswalk signs in my favor. I set a PR in my half marathon time (well not my BEST, but my best in the last couple years). But.. I think I may have been pushing it too hard.

My brother in law sent me a link to his friends advice for running longer distances, and it said that when you first start out on them that you should go a couple minutes slower than what you hope your marathon pace to be. My entire 16 miles was under 11 minutes/miles. And I completed the whole thing in just under 3 hours. 

What's worse about the whole thing, is around mile 12, all I could think about was, am I even going to remember the experience of running the Boston Marathon? I find on my long runs, I couldn't tell you anything about them, just that I did it, and I finished it. 

I do remember being extremely annoyed with more pedestrians today... because honestly... they're stupid. Get. Out. Of. My.Way... and stop walking in cursive.

I definitely am starting to feel the familiar pain in my knees, and as I'm sitting here typing this I can feel it. I'm hoping by tomorrow it will start to subside, but I'm also thankful my training allows for recovery after these runs. 

I'm sorry this post is a little short, but I'm exhausted and like I said, I kind of blacked out during the run.

Post running stretching... felt amazing...




It was pretty cool to get both my furthest distance and longest time for running under my belt. 


Tomorrow: Rest Day
Monday: 5 miles



No comments:

Post a Comment