Saturday, February 16, 2013

I'm back...



 I have this magazine ad in a frame right next to my bed, and it was the first thing I looked at this morning. After not having run since Monday due to the previous posts reasons (which I still have no definitive answers for), I knew I needed to get a good run in.... but the lingering question on how would I feel was sticking in my head. After eating a Luna bar, I set out for my run. I had no distance or time in mind, but I knew the schedule said 14 miles... did I have it in me? Maybe, but I wasn't 100% sold yet.

As I set off, my iPod was playing the perfect music to put me at a steady, somewhat slow, but steady pace. (Thanks DMB, and Mumford and Sons). I felt good, so I decided I would head over to the world trade center and see how I felt.

Crossing over the bridge on  Summer Street
As I got into the area by the World Trade Center, I was having flashbacks of the Boston Run to Remember half marathons I have done that start and finish at this point. But I was still holding a steady pace, and actually increasing my pace per mile. So I decided I would head over towards the Garden and see what mileage that would bring me to.

When I found myself a block or so from the Garden, I decided, you know what, I feel pretty decent right now, I'll head over to the Navy yard. And next thing I knew I found myself at Bunker Hill. [what up Chucktown, as some of my good friends Mindy and Aimee would say] It felt pretty awesome. As a girl with a lot of knee issues, to still be going at a steady pace and not having walked yet, I was proud of myself. [cherish the little moments along the way is what I keep telling myself]

Hello Bunker Hill Monument
It was at this point I was around 5.5 miles, and decided I was going to do a half marathon. 13.1 miles. Charlestown offered something that most of my route so far hadn't been able to give me... hills. I pushed myself to run up most of them on the route out, and allowed myself to walk (briskly) up some of them on the route back to Southie. With my knee pain, hiking up mountains, or running up hills has always proved to be a problem area for me, so I wanted to take my precautions.

After leaving Charlestown and heading back to Southie, I couldn't help but pause as I was coming back over the bridge and looking over at the Garden.  It's nice to see such a great BIG sign for the Boston Bruins, starring at me as I run. I'm doing this for the Bruins Foundation. My Bruins and Charity. Two of my biggest loves. 

Still snowing as well...
It was nice to see so many other runners out there braving the snow as well, not that it was nearly as bad as last weekend, but still. I can't help but think over half the people I cross paths with running, are also training. My frustrations continue though, that I could probably run forever without my knee issues. My breathing is always fine, my lungs feel good, but it's always my knees that hold me back from having that extra kick in my stride. Maybe I'll find someway to get around that.

Running along Atlantic Avenue
As I entered the final miles of my run, it was comforting to know that I was able to do 10 miles without any area of significant walking. [thank god, I don't wanna be the marathon runner walking after mile 3!] But to date, that's the most mileage I've ever done without walking for a few minutes within the run. It was also encouraging that I was keeping the same steady pace. Mile after mile, my iPod told me my mile pace and I was within a few seconds of the time before. Little landmarks, which are in fact BIG landmarks.

Rounding back into Southie, I couldn't believe I had just done a HALF MARATHON, without the motivation of a bib number, being timed, and having thousands of other people around me doing the same thing. And also after everything that had gone on earlier in the week. I was proud that I was able to do it. And I was able to do it in around the same time I've previously done it in races (but without the race adrenaline, so I'm hoping come race day it'll actually be a little faster).

Nothing like a tour of parts of the Freedom Trail
I will definitely be taking advantage of some stretching bands I own, and my ice pack specifically for my knee to help my body recover from the run... I did make a mental note that if I'm going to go for a long run like this, unlike the timed races with other people, I don't have water stations every few miles, so I'll need to start running with some water or energy packs, because I was definitely parched at different points.  But I was able to finish the run still with a smile on my face... and enjoyed my ZICO Chocolate Coconut Water tremendously when I got back to my apartment.
Still Smiling...

Tasted SOOO good.
And now... back on schedule for the training.

Tomorrow: Rest Day/ Coaching Seacoast Field Hockey
Monday: 4 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment